In honor of Father’s Day below are tips to improve testosterone naturally.
1) Incorporate Strength Training. Increase testosterone and growth hormone by focusing on large, compound movements such as squats, deadlifts, pull-ups, kettlebell swing 3-5x week for 30-60 minutes can make a significant impact.
2) Focus on healthy fats. Avocado, nuts, coconut oil, animal based proteins are excellent sources. Taking in healthy fats can help convert more cholesterol into testosterone and in turn improve cholesterol levels.
3) Eliminate sugar, processed/refined foods. Excess sugar intake will increase stored body fat and increases the levels of stress hormones, which inhibits optimal testosterone production.
4) Dump the alcohol. Alcohol increases the conversion of testosterone into estrogen and stores belly fat.
5) PURPOSELY manage stress. Although we may feel like we are “handling” stress, it’s about how our body perceives and responds is what’s important. When our body is under stress, cortisol (stress hormone) becomes our first responder. Stress can wreck havoc on your metabolism impacting your blood sugar regulation and ultimately our sex hormones. Effective strategies include massage, meditation, yoga, fostering good company, etc.